Thursday, November 10, 2011

Back in Charleston

And I am happy to be back.  I love it down here.  The weather is my favorite part.  And my girlfriend is here too, which is great.  I don't know how I ever lived for so long in the Northeast.

I enjoy driving, especially when I'm in no rush and I don't care about traffic delays or getting cutoff.  I just go with the flow.  No pressure.  Whenever I am stuck in a car for a while, like during an 18hr drive, I just think.  I think about a lot of things.  I listen to the radio, sometimes music, sometimes talk.  I heard a very interesting comment on a Christian talk show.  I wouldn't usually listen to Christian talk radio, but, in this case the hosts were covering about the Penn State sex scandal.  After that ended, they began taking listener's phone calls.  One caller said the following:

"The US has surpassed over 50 million abortions.  It has been proven that most people who get abortions are Liberals.  Therefore, it is safe to assume that a majority of these 50 million aborted babies would grow to be liberals like their parents, had they not been aborted.  Is this God's way of purging the world of Liberals?"

I could not make this up.  And the host's reaction was equally surprising, but, polite and professional.  They laughed and said they had never heard that claim before.  To answer the caller, they simply said that it was not God's will for any unborn babies to be killed.


Something crazy, at least to me, also happened.  I was driving down 95 in NJ when I began seeing electronic billboards warning me of an accident ahead and to expect delays.  As I came around the next corner, I saw lots of break lights and cars stopped.  I made a decision to try and exit the highway and get back on after the accident to avoid the stop and go traffic.  Well, once I got off the highway, I had a hard time finding an easy route back to the highway and for a little while I was lost.

I was trying to find my way back to the highway, taking all sorts of back roads and shortcuts.  Finally, I knew I was heading the right direction when I stumbled across the same exact deli that I had stopped at when I was headed North from Charleston.  It is probably one of the only places in NJ I have ever been and I accidently went back to the same spot.  Because of that random accident, I got off at some random exit and randomly found myself someplace I'd been only a month before.  Isn't that crazy?

Finally, I was in Northern Virginia when I decided to take a dinner break and let some of the rush hour traffic subside.  I was leaving a delicious dinner at Chipotle when I took a wrong turn.  I was mad about it because of all the traffic around and now I had to turn around.  I was headed in the correct direction again when I went through a big intersection where there had just been a 3 car accident.  It didn't look very serious, just some smoking engines and everyone was getting out of their cars to check on everyone else.

I couldn't help but think that I may have been in that accident if I hadn't made that wrong turn.  Maybe it was divine intervention, maybe it was not my destiny and maybe it was just luck.  I do like to believe that everything happens for a reason.  That is how I stay stress free.  I tend to let things play out because I believe they will play out in my favor.  I don't sweat the little things because I feel that if they are supposed to happen they will, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment