Sunday, April 26, 2009

Visitors! Continued2

Tuesday: 

I don’t recall meeting on Tuesday ecause I had class in the afternoon with a class on Wednesday morning.  They told me they went shopping and walked the streets more. 

 

Wednesday:

On Wednesday, we EVENTUALLY met up after my class in the morning (long story-miscommuntication).  We went to the train station and caught the metro to Sweden.  It was only a half hour trip, on a new, long, beautiful bridge called the Oresund Bridge (crosses the Oresund Strait).  Then, we were in Malmo.

Malmo reminded me a lot of Copenhagen.  It was a similar atmosphere.  Lots of shops and squares with plenty of people.  We walked around exploring for a couple of hours and had a nice time.  We went into an old church and that was really pretty.  Then we went and saw a famous old castle, but, we didn’t go inside.  After that, we went back. 


The most famous square in Malmo.

An altar from the 1500's.

The most interesting part of the day came at dinner.  We chose to go to the Hard Rock Café in Copenhagen.  This was a good decision.  First of all, it was closeby and the food was delicious.  When we entered, it was happy hour at the bar, so we spent some time there before sitting down to eat.  I started talking to a guy at the bar in a Danish soldier’s uniform.  His name was Dennis and he was probably 35 years old.  He told me that he was a driver for a prestigious political figure.  We started casually talking.  In a little while, Mom and Aunt Nancy joined me and we spoke for a wile at the bar.  When we were hungry to eat, to be polite, we asked him if he wanted to join us.  He did and we had a nice time.  He was interesting and he was able to answer a lot questions from Mom and Aunt Nancy that I could not.  He also paid for dinner which was cool.

With Dennis at the Hard Rock Cafe.

After dinner, I went home because of class in the morning.

 

Thursday: 

We met up after class on Thursday.  However, while I was in class for the morning, Mom and Aunt Nancy went to a special event at the Amelienborg Palace.  This is the same place we went on Sunday to see the changing of the gaurds, but, this time, they were celebrating the Queen’s birthday.  They said it was a nice ceremony.  I was proud of them because they found their way across the city and back on their own.

On Thursday, we kinda took it easy.  I think we went for a nice stroll through some other parts of Copenhagen and then we went to the notorious Tivoli Gardens.  This is the oldest amusement park in Scandinavia, dating back to 1843.  It is located right in the center of the city and close to our hotel room.  It is not a large park, but, it did have a bunch of roller coasters and rides.  We could see the tall rides from the hotel.  I didn’t do any of them because they were expensive, but it was beautiful to walk around.  We went in the afternoon, but, apparently it is even more beautiful at night because they light over 120,000 lamps every night and it is open till midnight on the weekends.  It also has about 30 restaurants, including some of the best in Copenhagen.  It was a nice blend of an amusement park and a beautiful garden/park.  In fact, there were as many older people just strolling around as there were kids.


We walked around for a little while and then made our way to a 30 piece orchestra.  It was a nice little concert, right at the gardens.  It went on for a half hour and we stayed for the entire thing.  I enjoyed it a lot. 

After the concert, it was dinner time, so again we made our way to the Hard Rock Café.  After another great dinner, we went back to the hotel room and hung out together for the last night.  I stayed again that night so that I could see Mom and Aunt Nancy off in the morning.  After they left, I went back to bed an did my own thing in the morning.

Overall, we had a great time together and I’m really glad that we had this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment