Monday, January 26, 2009


Wow.  What a long day, but, we made it.  Here's how it went:

We left home at 10am and made good time getting to the airport, arriving at 2pm.  We checked in my baggage and waited for Sara to arrive.  20 min later she did and we were on our way after a reluctant but excited goodbye.  

Getting through security was a piece of cake.  it was the quickest I'd ever gotten through.
Once sara and I found our terminal, we sat down at the Sam Adams bar and had some drinks while waiting for everyone else.  In no time, more and more people arrived, until we had a group of 6.  After two drinks, we were boarding.  



The plane was not full, so we got to arrange it so that wewere sitting closer together.  I had window seat right over the wing.  It was a huge plane.  The plane ride was long.  Each seat had its individual tv and you got to choose from about 60 movies of what you wanted to watch.
I watched The Firm and The Mummy.  I couldn't sleep.  I tried, but, it did not come.  
Upon arriving, we all grabbed our luggage, exchanged some money, and then proceeded to the cabs.  I fit in a van with 5 others and all our luggage.  It costed us about 600kr total, or $100, for the 15 min ride from the airport.  There is no snow on the ground here but it looks very similar to home.  the trees and the buildings are the same.  It is nice.  The taxis are all beautiful cars.  No taxis like back home.


We each went to the International Affairs desk when we arrived at DTU and received keys to our rooms.  I then went to my room, unpacked and slept for 3 hrs.  I woke up and went grocery shopping then.  I wanted to before it began getting dark (~4:30pm). I met up with another RPI student who had similar plans so we went together. The store we went to was "Super Best" 
a major grocery market in Denmark.  It did not remind me anything of our huge, open, grocery markets from back home.  This was small, had low ceilings, and a limited selection.  But, it had everything.
As the day progressed, I met two of my neighbors, John and Ian.  They were very nice and helped me a lot.  I spent about two hours with them around dinner time.  It seems we are the only ones in our hall around of the 17 that will live on my floor and share a kitchen.  More to come...  

No comments:

Post a Comment